Friday, July 30, 2010

August 15 Gospel: Lk 1:39–56: Solemnity of the Assumption of Mary

Sunday

Solemnity of the Assumption of Mary

►1st Reading: Rev 11:19a; 12:1–6a, 10ab

A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman, clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head. She was pregnant and cried out in pain, looking to her time of delivery.

Then another sign appeared: a huge, red dragon with seven heads and ten horns and wearing seven crowns on its heads.

The dragon stood in front of the woman who was about to give birth, so that it might devour the child as soon as it was born. She gave birth to a male child, the one who is to rule all the nations with an iron scepter; then her child was seized and taken up to God and to his throne while the woman fled to the desert where God had prepared a place for her;

Then I heard a loud voice from heaven: Now has salvation come, with the power and the kingdom of our God, and the rule of his anointed. For our brothers’ accuser has been cast out, who accused them night and day, before God.

►2nd Reading: 1 Cor 15:20–27

But no, Christ has been raised from the dead and he comes before all those who have fallen asleep. A human being brought death; a human being also brings resurrection of the dead. All die for being Adam’s, and in Christ all will receive life. However, each one in his own time: first Christ, then Christ’s people, when he comes.

Then the end will come, when Christ delivers the kingdom to God the Father, after having destroyed every rule, authority and power. For he must reign and put all enemies under his feet. The last enemy to be destroyed will be death. As Scripture says: God has subjected everything under his feet.

When we say that everything is put under his feet, we exclude, of course, the Father who subjects everything to him.

►Gospel: Lk 1:39–56

Mary entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leapt in her womb. Elizabeth was filled with holy spirit, and giving a loud cry, said, “You are most blessed among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb! How is it that the mother of my Lord comes to me? The moment your greeting sounded in my ears, the baby within me suddenly leapt for joy. Blessed are you who believed that the Lord’s word would come true!”

And Mary said:
“My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit exults in God my savior!
He has looked upon his servant in her lowliness,
and people forever will call me blessed.
The Mighty One has done great things for me,
Holy is his Name!
He has acted with power and done wonders,
and scattered the proud with their plans.
He has put down the mighty from their thrones
and lifted up those who are downtrodden.
He has filled the hungry with good things
but has sent the rich away empty.
He held out his hand to Israel, his servant,
for he remembered his mercy,
even as he promised our fathers,
Abraham and his descendants forever.”

Mary remained with Elizabeth about three months and then returned home.

REFLECTION

“My soul is glad because of God my Savior, for he has remembered me, his lowly servant.”

I have been called by God,
just as clearly as Mary was,
to do my part in the plan of salvation.
My own ‘fiat,’ my own recognition
that my call from God is also a personal one
is of the essence of Christian commitment.

No comments: