Friday, July 30, 2010

August 16

Monday

20th Week in Ordinary Time
Stephen of Hungary

►1st Reading: Ezk 24:15–23

The word of Yahweh came to me in these terms, “Son of man, I am about to suddenly take from you the delight of your eyes, but you are not to lament or weep or let your tears flow. Groan in silence and do not mourn for the dead; wear your turban, put on your sandals, do not cover your beard or eat the customary food of mourners.”

I spoke to the people in the morning and my wife died that evening. The next morning I did as I had been commanded. Then the people said to me: “Explain to us the meaning of your actions.” I said to them, “The word of Yahweh came to me in these terms: ‘Say to Israel: I am about to profane my sanctuary, your pride, the delight of your eyes for which you long. The sons and daughters you left behind will also fall by the sword, but you will do as I have done: you will not cover your beard or eat the customary food of mourners; you will keep your turbans on your heads and sandals on your feet. You will not lament or weep. Instead, because of your sin, you will waste away and groan among yourselves.

►Gospel: Mt 19:16–22

A young man approached him and asked, “Master, what good work must I do to receive eternal life?” Jesus answered, “Why do you ask me about what is good? Only one is Good. If you want to enter eternal life, keep the commandments.” The young man said, “Which commandments?” Jesus replied, “Do not kill, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not bear false witness, honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as yourself.”

The young man said to him, “I have kept all these commandments, what is still lacking?” Jesus answered, “If you wish to be perfect, go and sell all that you possess and give the money to the poor and you will become the owner of a treasure in heaven. Then come back and follow me.”

On hearing this answer, the young man went away sad for he was a man of great wealth.

REFLECTION

“‘I have obeyed all these commandments,’ the youngman replied.
What else do I need to do?”

There are three ways to live life:
I can refuse to do what is expected
of the fully human, human being.
I can do only what is expected of me.
I can do what is expected of me—and even more.
By choosing the third way, I become holier every day.

No comments: